CREPN # 22 Shake It & Don’t Break It; Earthquakes & Building Seismic Retrofit with Steve Gemmell.
Earthquakes are a constant real concern in the Western US and along the Pacific Ring of Fire.
If you are not aware, the standard property insurance policy EXCLUDES “Earth Movement” which includes:
- Tremors & Aftershocks
- Landslide & Sinking
- Mine Subsidence
- Ground Rising or Shifting
However, the resulting fire or explosion is covered.
With this in mind, I sought out a local Earthquake retrofit professional, Steve Gemmell with Earthquake Tech.
I was able to go out into the field and visit a job site where I got a tour of a job they were actively working on was able to see and have a Q & A session.
Steve Gemmell’s background in Earthquake / Seismic Retrofit
- Inspected thousands of buildings and installed hundreds of seismic retrofits.
- Consulted with several professional structural engineers and have developed a seismic retrofit method for each foundation type, including an unreinforced masonry design that meets current building codes.
- Consulted with City of Portland Bureau Development Services regarding their Residential Seismic Strengthening Program effective April 2011.
- Developed a program for individual & group DIY(do-it-yourself) classes and have consulted with Real Estate agents, Home Inspectors and Insurance agents.
For more info: www.Earthquaketech.com